Friday, December 5, 2014

ARTICLE: The Business of "Healthy Eating"

http://www.si.com/edge/2014/11/24/the-business-of-healthy-eating

A great article about the misconceptions of “healthy” eating…
Some great tidbits: 
How can you mess up plain oatmeal?
Here’s how: the guy in the hat now sells “Weight Control” oatmeal. “To Help With Your Weight Management Plan,” it says on the label. The box includes packets of all the fancy flavors … Maple & Brown Sugar, Banana Bread, Cinnamon.Weight control? Each packet has more calories and carbs than the Original oatmeal right next to it on the shelf. They’ve added a couple grams of protein, and now it’s healthy? No, it’s cake.
Look, it’s not just about losing weight. You know what happens to your performance when you’re consuming high levels of sugar? Your insulin spikes. Insulin causes inflammation. Any time you increase inflammation, you have a decrease of power output. Now you’re less explosive, and less healthy. I bet your nutritionist or trainer never told you that.
Take the time to understand what you’re putting into your body. What you put in is just as important as what you take out.
The second thing everyone says:No problem, I got this. Until they realize how it feels to go through sugar withdrawal, because The List wrings every gram of sugar out of the body. Total reset. You’re going to feel and perform so much better, but for the short term, you’ve never felt worse. Fatigue, irritability, confusion. You get a crazy headache behind one eye. You’ll get hot, you’ll get cold, you’ll want to throw up. You’ll shake like a heroin addict going through withdrawal because, guess what—you are. 
You don’t have to enjoy it. You just have to crave the end result more than you crave the donuts.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a pizza and donut every now and then, but I know it’s an indulgence and not good for me. I won’t eat a packet of 100 calorie fat free brownies pretending I’m a healthier person for it. 
Like I tell my friends, “I treat carbs like alcohol. Reserved for special occasions and in moderation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment