Sunday, November 16, 2014

My Return (A year PLUS of running and a crazy challenge I am about to embark on)

I have decided to make my return here. I’ve actually really missed it.

This is a not so quick recap of an eventful year PLUS.

Since my last post I have been extremely focused on my running:

I’ve been involved with the local running community including running regularly with Nike and Lululemon run clubs and becoming an officer for a prominent run club here in Southern California.

I returned to racing with a couple of 5Ks in the summer of 2013.

In August I came across the www.runketo.com group and started reading up on the low carb/ketogenic research of doctors Phinney, Volek, Attia, and Noakes. I practiced a low carb/ketogenic diet before in spurts, but honestly never really knew the full science behind it. I didn’t realize how beneficial it would be to running, especially longer distances. Even more importantly, I didn’t realize how beneficial it would be to my health. In September I began my low carb/ketogenic way of eating.

I started using this nutritional plan for my training for the the 2013 Long Beach half marathon. This was my “comeback” race and I was able to complete it in 2:02. A 13 minute PR, but not quite my goal of sub 2:00. Long Beach was the first race of the 3 race series known as the Beach Cities Challenge.

I ran the Surf City 10 miler again and then ran the combo race at the Dana Point Turkey trot. This entailed running the 10k, and an hour or so later running the 5K. I PR’d both races, but ended up developing an achilles issue from that.

December was quiet, partly due to me resting my achilles, but also because it was the calm before the storm…

I was already registered for the New Year’s Race LA half marathon in Jan. The race I did for my first half marathon the year before.

I was set to pace the Surf City half marathon with my running club in February. Race 2 of 3 of the Beach Cities Challenge. To complete the Beach Cities Challenge I would need to finish the half or full marathon at the OC Marathon in May. If I opted to run the full, I would earn the Double Dog Dare 39.3 Dogtag medal that Surf City and OC were putting together as well. At that point I decided that I would just go for it. I was contemplating which full marathon to make my first and what better way than to earn 3 medals while running around my local running area.

While at the expo for the New Year’s Race LA, I found out that Hollywood Half Marathon in April was partnering up with the New Year’s Race LA to set up a “Best of LA” challenge. It fell perfectly in schedule with a day I was scheduled to run 13 miles for my marathon training anyway, so why not?

If that wasn’t enough, my local running group was helping people who were running the LA Marathon for charity. I had no plans to run, but was helping some of them train. A week before the race, I was asked to run for an injured runner who was doing the charity relay. I would be running the second half of the marathon and since I was scheduled to do 15 miles that weekend for marathon training I decided to just add a couple miles on before my leg.

The beginning of 2014 ended up being a half marathon a month for the first four months, culminating in me running my first FULL marathon in May.

It was an ambitious plan, especially for someone that was injured the year before, but I felt I was much smarter this time around and had the support of some amazing runners.

New Years Race LA Half Marathon (13.1 #3): My second year running this race. This year the course was much hillier than the first year, and people were already complaining the year before. I was still recovering from my Achilles issues from the Turkey Trot so I took easier but completed the race in a faster time than the previous year, but not near my PR set at Long Beach. It was a good race and I was able to run with some really good friends. Can’t really ask for much more than that.

Surf City Half Marathon (13.1 #4): I ended up as an official pacer for this race through my run club. I opted to use this as a training run and was set to pace the 2:45 half marathon. This was easy and hard at the same time.

LA Marathon Charity Relay (13.1 #5): This was a last minute decision to run this race, but I’m glad I did. It was great to support my friends and Team World Vision. I will never forget the pride I felt running with these people who don’t normally run, many who it was their first time running more than 5 miles, many who were attempting their first marathon, all for the passion they had in the cause. Even a someone with some running experience, it was not easy though. I used it as a training run and added 2 miles to my half marathon distance. This would be my longest run to date and I found that heat would be my nemesis in running.

Hollywood Half Marathon (13.1 #6): This was really just a throw in race to get the Best of LA challenge medal. I learned I could run a half marathon at a decent pace without taking any gus, gels, and sports drinks. Just on course water.

OC Marathon (26.2 #1): This was the culmination of my races/training. My first FULL marathon. I was running with a friend who was aiming to complete here first marathon also and ran at her paces the whole way. I also had many of the people in my run clubs “pit crew” and pace for us at various points of the race. It was such a great experience. I ended up finishing in 4:43 with more left in tank.

A week before the OC Marathon, I decided to sign up for the San Francisco full which was in a little more than 2 months. My friend was running it too and talked me into it. After OC marathon I took a vacation to the Philippines for a couple weeks and rested and recovered. Upon returning I found a plan for multiple marathons in a short period of time and modified it. I figured I would use the base I built for OC, but add in some hill work to be ready for the San Francisco hills. Also, being on the low carb/ketogenic way of eating, my recovery, even during my original training, was amazing.

Before the San Francisco marathon in July, I decided that I would continue try to do at least a half marathon a month by signing up for the Flight of Fire Trail Half Marathon in Red Rock/Las Vegas, NV.

The Flight of Fire Trail Half Marathon (13.1 #7): would be my first trail marathon, and is still to date my hardest race. I started way too fast and I while I was doing well on the technical terrain, it took a toll on me by the end. I was able to finish, and this will still be one of my prouder finish. I plan to get revenge on the course next year.

San Francisco Marathon (26.2 #2): My friend that I originally planned to do the race with ended up dropping out of the race. I decided that this race would be my own. This was technically my second marathon, but it might as well have been my first. While I enjoyed my “first” marathon because of my run crews support, it was a team effort and I was pacing my friend. This one was all me. No pit crew, no “training partner”, my pace, my plan, my race. My training and nutrition were pretty much on point as the hills were not a big issue and I was able to hit my goal and set a PR of 4:29 on a much more difficult course and without using one gu, gel, or food. Post race, my recovery was been amazing.

America’s Finest Half Marathon (13.1 #8): This would be my August race. I was able to finally break 2 hours and set my half marathon PR at 1:56. This was a day after going to the Stone Brewing Company beerfest and not having quite a nutrition plan I’m used to.

Birthday Run (32 for 32): For the past couple of years, I would run a race on my birthday weekend. Usually it was a local 5K. My birthday fell on a Saturday and this year, I decided that I wanted to do something longer. At least a half marathon, a marathon, or possibly a 50K. There was actually a 50K on my birthday, and I had my sites set on it, but I was disappointed to find out they did not allow Vibram Five Fingers. At that point I decided, that I would run my own 50Kish by running my age (32) in miles. I connected all of my favorite run clubs/routes into one epic run. The route wound through a good part of Orange County starting in Mission Viejo, running through the trails of Aliso Woods, through Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar, Newport Coast, Back Bay, and ending in Costa Mesa. Highlights included an 800 ft ascent through Aliso and Wood Canyons wilderness park with amazing views as payoff, running through the beautiful beach view neighborhoods of Laguna Beach, running along the coast, passing by all my weekly run spots.I was fortunate enough to have a couple of awesome friends/inspiring runners who would attempt to complete the entire run with me as well as friends who joined in at various points and even pit crew’d for us. It was an epic way to celebrate my birthday.

Ragnar Napa Valley Ultra Team: My race for September was a relay. I ended up joining a Ragnar Napa Valley Ultra team. Ragnar is a relay race that spans about 200 miles and is usually split between 12 people. The Ultra team would do the 200 some miles with 6 people. Each person would take 3 legs on the 205 mile course from San Francisco to Napa. My legs ended up being 11, 15, and 12 mile respectively. You run non stop, through the night, whenever it’s your turn to run. When you’re not in running, your in your van with teammates. Resting when you can, eating what you can, and just having a great time. This was easily my favorite race. It was truly a team effort, and I had a great team.

Long Beach Fantastic! Half Marathon (13.1 #9): This was a last minute race to keep my streak going. It was a small race of around 20-30 people. I was just going to take it easy, but I realized part of the way through that I was in a good position, so I ended up pushing it a bit and ended up winning 3rd place. It wasn’t a PR, but it felt great to actually “race”. I usually run these races just to finish.

This brings me to today…

In a few hours I will be attempting to run 2 half marathons in 2 different states in the same day.

The Avengers Half Marathon in the morning and the Las Vegas Rock N Roll Half Marathon at night. I was originally planning on running the Las Vegas half or full marathon only, but when they announced the Avenger’s half, being a comic book nerd, I could not pass it up. I know I can run the 26.2 miles, but there will be 250 some mile drive in between the two which will provide the biggest obstacle. I look forward to this challenge though and it will be a great time with friends at both races.


No comments:

Post a Comment